Monday, February 13, 2012

The Two Sides of Rex

There's a lot of talk about breeding for versatility and dogs that can "do it all".  Well, I think the most versatile dog is a well-bred border collie.  Drive?  Check.  Biddability?  Out the wazoo.  Athleticism?  Work all day on a huge mountain, get up the next day begging for more.  Off switch?  Yup, because you don't get to work the big mountains every day.  The whole idea of breeding border collies for agility and flyball just seems weird.

I like to do dog sports.  I started in agility over 10 years ago, but lost interest when I started herding.  Over the past year and a half, though, I've started competing again and I really am enjoying it.  Besides my trusty, loud and crazy partner, Wick, I have Rex.  He is 4 years old, and was raised as a sheepdog.  He competed in the 2009 CBCA/Western Canadian Championships, finishing 4th.  He also ran at the USBCHA Nursery Finals that year, qualifying for the final round.  Then he came home to me where he became a house dog.  :-)

Here are a couple of videos from this weekend.  The first is from Saturday, where the boys practiced their shedding.  The second is from Sunday.  Rex competed in agility trial, where he had 4 qualifying runs, placing first in 3 of them.




No comments: